We advise clients on the effective resolution of disputes between States, or between international investors and host States. In addition, the team advises on the impact of private and public international law on international commercial transactions.
Our team includes leading practitioners in the field, who have experience working for governments and international organisations.
We provide market-leading representation in the following areas:
- Concessions, including for straddling resources
- Economic sanctions
- Human rights
- International environmental law
- International trade and WTO law
- Investment treaties, including NAFTA and the Energy Charter Treaty
- Land and maritime boundary and sovereignty disputes
- Law of the Sea
- Property rights and expropriation
- Sovereign debt
- State responsibility
- Transboundary pipelines
- Treaty negotiations and accession
- Law relating to war, war crimes and trial of war criminals before National and International Tribunals.
- International arbitration , reconciliation and trial of criminals before international courts and tribunals.
- Petitions, memos & references before / to International Court of Justice.
KLA also advises clients on the complex and nuanced application of public international law in domestic courts. Clients are often faced with issues that include sovereign immunity, State succession, trade sanctions, alien tort claims and the extent of State responsibility. The team offers unique experience working on such issues and, where appropriate, can draw on the firm’s other practitioners around the globe.
Recent Representative Experience
Islamic State of Afghanistan was represented by Mian Muhibullah Kakakhel against Islamic Republic of Pakistan in a property dispute before the Supreme Court of Pakistan.